Thursday, May 7, 2015

Senior finds his passion in biomedical research

Hampton University Class of 2015  #GradHU15
The Hampton University Class of 2015 is ready to soar. The graduates will don their caps and gowns on May 10, 2015 and join the ranks of thousands of Hampton University alumni making an impact all over the world. This blog series will feature a different member of Class of 2015 during Commencement week.  

Senior finds his passion in biomedical research

Joshua Burton is one of the 2015 recipients of the President's Cup.

 
“Know that with every breath and step, the journey is as important as the destination…keep trotting.” These are the words Joshua Burton lives by. Burton’s journey has led him to be one of the three seniors presented with the 2015 Hampton University President’s Cup.   

The senior biology major and native of Antigua and Barbuda says that when it came to choosing a new home for four years, there was no doubt that Hampton University was a top contender. The climate in Virginia appeared to be one that he could adjust to without too much discomfort in comparison to the states further north.
  
“Hampton University turned out to be the most favorable option, and the fact that I secured a scholarship at this prestigious HBCU affirmed it as my school of choice,” said Burton.
  
Starting as a freshman in James Hall, Burton came to HU with intent on going to medical school after graduation, but instead he found that his real passion is in biomedical research.

“I was able to connect with professors who encouraged me to consider this path and opened up the opportunities to allow me to get the exposure that I needed. My time at Hampton has indeed allowed me to redefine my career objectives.”

Burton was also recently awarded the second place prize in biology department for his oral presentation: “Cell Adhesion Molecules and Oocyte Development.”

After graduation, Burton will attended Syracuse University where he will pursue a doctoral degree in biology. “I anticipate that this course of study will equip me with the requisite skills and knowledge for a career in biomedical research.”

Ultimately, Burton would like to establish a biomedical research facility in Antigua and Barbuda to further invigorate the health care system.

Burton has truly taken advantage of all Hampton University has to offer and has been a part of numerous organizations on campus including Beta Kappa Chi Scientific Honor Society, Freddye T. Davy Honors College, Student Support Services academic tutor, Frederick D. Inge Biology Club and the Hampton University Pre-Health Program.

Sabin Duncan, director of the Freddye T. Davy Honors College, describes Burton as a “jewel of a student.”
             
I am grateful because I know that in time, when I name the most remarkable alumni that list will include Joshua,” Duncan said. “I will feel a great sense of pride knowing that my contributions were among the many that shaped this marvelous young man."




-          Daisha Roberts ’15

No comments:

Post a Comment