Monday, July 15, 2013

HU Student Wins Scholarship from Wale

Hampton University Sophomore, Lauren Pryor
accepting her scholarship reward.
The moment of a lifetime arrived after Hampton University sophomore psychology major and Gloucester resident Lauren Pryor, won a $25,000 scholarship from rapper Wale. In a challenge presented on June 18 from Norfolk hip-hop station 103 JAMZ, Pryor was the 25th caller and the winner. In one brief week, Pryor went from winning a chance in a thousand to a moment in a million.

"I was on my way to a friend’s home in Hampton when I heard the radio challenge that the 25th caller would win the prize,” said Pryor. “The station said to call between 4 and 5 p.m. I called four or five times. The line was always busy. On about the 14th call I told myself to give it a rest then, I heard a man say ‘hello.’ “I didn’t believe it. He told me there were millions of calls and he only picked up the phone 14 times nationwide," Pryor said in an article in the Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal. 

Pryor spent a glitz-filled two days, June 23-24, with all the VIP amenities anyone could ask for in New York City.

Hampton University Sophomore Lauren Pryor and
Rapper Wale 
“Winning this scholarship was truly a blessing,” said Pryor. “Almost not returning to Hampton University in the fall because of expenses, I was exceedingly fortunate to receive this scholarship. It was truly a test of faith.”

After numerous interviews and a presentation on the stage of BET’s, 106 & Park, for a show broadcast the next night, Tuesday, June 25.  She had the chance to meet the other two winners at the CBS Studios before her first live taping.

Pryor received the scholarship award at the album release party and concert for Wale’s new album, "The Gifted" at the Best Buy Theater.



Once she returned home she was able to watch the joyous moment on BET’s 106 & Park of herself accepting the prize with her loving family.



Chad Harris '14 

2 comments: