Monday, June 16, 2014

HU Seniors Receive Hampton Sheriff Scholarships

HU Seniors Receive Hampton Sheriff Scholarships

Jocelyn Cannon and Edward Robinson
Two Hampton University seniors received scholarships from the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute. Sheriff B.J. Roberts, of the Hampton Sheriff’s Department, awarded the $1000 scholarships to Edward Robinson and Jocelyn Cannon on June 4.

Both Robinson and Cannon are criminal justice majors and members of the Gamma Tau chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the National Criminal Justice Honor Society. This was Robinson’s second year receiving the scholarship. He is a veteran of the United States Army, having served for seven years before enrolling at HU in 2012.

“It (this scholarship) means a lot to me because when I embarked on the journey to attend Hampton University, I was coming straight from my overseas deployment to Afghanistan,” Robinson said. “I was really nervous about being a 29-year-old nontraditional student surrounded by young people. However, from the moment I stepped foot on campus, students, faculty, and administration embraced me. I stood out, but in a good way.”

The Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute awards scholarships annually to Virginia college students pursuing majors in the criminal justice and law enforcement fields. Interested students must submit an application with an essay and letter of recommendation from their local sheriff.

- Tori Twine

No comments:

Post a Comment